Funding Faculty Research and Travel
There are multiple funding opportunities available to faculty at UIC, including through the School. Please explore the links below for more information on funding sources pertinent to LCSL faculty members.
The below information pertains to faculty. If you are a graduate student seeking travel support, visit the Funding Graduate Student Conference Travel page.
Research and Travel Awards
Applicants must have expended all union, college, OVPFA, and individual research account or other funds prior to applying, except when a departmental match is required to access those. The SLCSL Travel Fund may be used as a “departmental match.”
- If you are an Assistant Professor, please apply first to the College for its Junior Research Award. You may apply up to three times per year. Apply early! Money runs out before the end of the semester.
- If you are traveling abroad, apply to the College’s Foreign Travel Award for matching funds.
- The Office of Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs offers up to $1,000 to tenure-track faculty to support research through its Faculty Scholarship Support Program. You may receive support for multiple years.
- The SLCSL Travel Fund for tenure-track and non-tenure-track faculty to present at conferences. Travel must be completed and receipts submitted by the end of the fiscal year. Those who are members of the bargaining unit are expected to fully deplete their union negotiated funds before drawing on these funds. Those not in the bargaining unit can draw immediately on these funds.
- For additional sources of funding for faculty research support, see the LAS Faculty Research Support page.
- For information on faculty awards, see the Campus Faculty Awards page.
research and travel links
International Travel Insurance Requirements
All UIC students on university-authorized travel abroad and UIC employees traveling with them must enroll in the International Travel Safety roster and obtain the University of Illinois System’s comprehensive insurance plan through the ITS roster.
Other UIC faculty or staff on university-authorized business, but not traveling with students, are strongly encouraged to enroll and to obtain the comprehensive insurance.
This policy does not cover faculty, staff, or students’ personal travel that is unrelated to work or academic duties at UIC.
Insurance for graduate students and faculty required under university policy is a reimbursable expense and should be included in travel-related budgets.
Faculty should consult with Alma Sias before enrolling on the roster and obtaining travel insurance under this policy.
To review the ITS policy and access the enrollment roster, please visit the following website: https://oge.uic.edu/international international -travel-safety-enrollment/
Institute for the Humanities
The Institute for the Humanities offers Faculty Fellowships. Applications are due in November for the following academic year. These fellowships release faculty from all formal teaching and administrative obligations during the period of the fellowship year. All full-time tenured or tenure-track faculty in humanities and related disciplines at the rank of Assistant Professor and above are eligible to apply for this award. Those faculty who have been Institute fellows are eligible to apply for a second fellowship five years after their former fellowship elapsed (2004-2005 or earlier). Those who have had two fellowships are eligible to reapply ten years after their last fellowship elapsed (1999-2000 or earlier).