Information for International Students

All International Students (TAs and Non-TAs)

  • Check in with OIS (Office of International Services, located inside of the Student Services Building--SSB--at the corner of Harrison & Racine) to do a check–in (Visa Clearance) as soon as you arrive in Chicago.
  • During check-in at the Office of International Services, be sure to ask about applying for a social security number. The office can advise new students on the latest procedures involved in applying for and obtaining a social security number/card.
  • International Student Orientation is held in the SSB. New International Students are automatically charged for this orientation and dinner;  therefore, it is of utmost importance that students attend.
  • Tax Treaty Options (call & visit during 1st week of term) Payroll Office (located in the Marshfield Building, West Campus, Polk & Ashland Ave.).
  • For further questions, contact Rocío García (, the graduate program administrator for the School.

Teaching Assistants: When You Can Expect to be Paid

  • The Department will send appropriate information to the Office of International Services to initiate an Employee Clearance form.  The processing for international students on a visa allows less flexibility in regards to the start date, so it is important to complete the necessary steps in a timely fashion.
  • It is only after all these stages have been successfully completed that your appointment becomes official and allows you to begin your duties and receive the monthly stipend, which is paid on the 16th of each month.

Teaching Assistants: Tuition Waivers

  • In addition, if your contract is 25% and above, the appointment comes with a tuition waiver and you must register for a minimum 8 credit hours so as to not lose the waiver.

Teaching Assistants: Avoid Delays in Payment

  • If the appointment for the assistantship is offered or processed late, or any of the steps outlined above are delayed, there is a possibility of missing your first monthly stipend check.
  • Although you will receive an adjusted payment a month later (assuming the beginning date is properly processed and assuming you worked for that period), not having the first check can cause financial issues you did not anticipate. 
  • Therefore, if you do not receive timely responses you should always contact the School at: (312) 996-5218. 
  • See the Graduate College website at for additional assistantship information.