If you have been granted an assistantship, there are a number of important steps that have to be undertaken to ensure timely processing and receipt of your first stipend check.
- You will receive a formal letter of offer from your specific program/department.
- After you have returned your acceptance with your signature, the department will complete the necessary information in the university database.
- When the department completes the previous step, it will trigger an email to you with log-on and other information for an online system called NESSIE.
- In NESSIE, you will need to complete the HR Application and Payroll information (demographic, educational, and bank deposit information).
- After that is completed in NESSIE, you will be instructed by your Department to complete the I-9 form, which you submit to the hiring unit. The I-9 form is viewable in Nessie and includes a list of acceptable official identification you will need to bring in with the completed forms.
At the end of spring, all new students receive an email message from the department with a detailed schedule for the Departmental Orientation (it is held every August during the week before classes begin); this is a mandatory orientation for all new Teaching Assistants.
Orientation week is very busy, so new students are strongly encouraged to plan on arriving in Chicago at least one week before orientation to find housing, obtain their i-Card, etc. This orientation usually lasts an entire week.