Professor; Dean, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Education: PhD University of Chicago
Goethe; 18th-century literature, culture, and history of science
- Goethe’s Modernisms, Continuum Press, 2010
- The Will to Create: Goethe's Philosophy of Nature. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press, 2002.
- Goethe's Elective Affinities and the Critics. Rochester: Camden House, 2001.
- “The Catholicism of Werther.” German Quarterly 81 (2008): 408-23.
- “Werther, Frankenstein, and Girardian Mediated Desire.” Studia Neophilologica 80 (2008): 133-43.
- "Damned to Heaven: The Tragedy of Faust Revisited." Monatshefte, 99 (2007): 454-468.
- "The Subjective Eye: Goethe's Farbenlehre and Faust" in The Enlightened Eye: Goethe and Visual Culture. Ed. Evelyn Moore and Patricia Simpson. Amsterdam: Editions Rodopi, 2007. 265-77.